Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Practice Makes Permanent

Most of us have heard the expression practice makes perfect. We've probably even used it a few times here and there. 

I love this spin on that expression: 


The importance of providing frequent and immediate feedback during your lessons is crucial because...say it with me folks...Practice. Makes. Permanent. You're catching on so quickly. {big smiles}

If students spend the first 10 minutes of their independent practice time working things out wrong, unfortunatly that "wrong" is going to stick.

What tips or tricks do you have to help you remember to give feedback immediately and frequently?

3 comments :

  1. This is so true! I love using the WBT "Teach, Okay!" During that time when they are teaching their partner, you can take a scan of the room and see if they have got it (are enthused about what they are talking about, and talking about the RIGHT way to do it), or if they are not (not knowing what to say, or not doing it correctly). Those who are doing it incorrectly you can correct on a one-to-one basis. This "teach okay" can go on as long as you'd like- the kids just keep repeating it to each other!
    another way I use is thumbs up/thumbs down. It's super easy to then see who gets it and who doesn't.
    Allie
    The Gypsy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just awarded you the Versatile and Liebster awards. Check out my blog to get your awards!!

    Brittany
    Stickers and Stamps

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that saying! I need to use this in my class!
    Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete