Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Content-Free Questions- A Bookmark Freebie

While browsing through Intervention Strategies to Follow Informal Reading Inventory Assessment: So What do I do now? (Whew! That's a mouthful!) the other day I stumbled upon some great questioning techniques to use during reading.

SIDE NOTE: Here's the one I was reading, but they're now up to at least the 5th Edition I think. 


 Intervention Strategies to Follow Informal Reading Inventory Assessment: So What Do I Do Now? (2nd Edition)

The first is using content-free questions during reading. That means that you familiarize students with questions that can be used across various reading materials.

So...instead of:

How did June solve the problem of the missing diamond?

Try:

What was the problem in the story and how did the main character  solve that problem? 

This will, "help students set specific expectations for reading."

It would be worth a quick mini-lesson to have students generate the types of questions they think would be appropriate to ask. These questions can then be turned in to a bookmark for students to refer to before, during, and after reading. 

I went ahead and used the questions listed in the book (the same types of questions I would carefully elicit from my students during our mini-lesson) and turned them into bookmarks. My hope is that I can get these bad boys to print on both sides so I have a set of questions for narratives (Tell me a story...) and a set for expository text (Tell me about it...) on the same book mark.



I'm headed to the water park in a just a bit so I don't have time to get fancy and link up a document (sorry!), but if you would like a copy just sent me a quick email (teachonalimb@me.com) or leave a comment. 

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am a new follower. I LOVE the bookmarks and would love a copy.

    Krista
    stellar-students
    mehrtens6@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete